Monday, October 09, 2006

North Korea joins the club

By club I of course mean the nuclear club. North Korea announced today the successful test of a nuclear weapon. It is yet to be confirmed but if true they would of joined the US, Russia, Britain, France, India, Pakistan and China (Israel is also believed to have nuclear weapons).

The test has met worldwide condemnation with only Iran voicing support for North Korea.

Assuming the test is genuine, the question is now, what to do about it? There are of course many options, which in my view, should be discussed and acted out through the UN. I of course am against the use of any military action (I think if it is considered, that proves whoever proposes it doesn’t believe NK will ever launch a missile, totally undermining the “deterrent” argument.) I’m also not keen on sanctions as I believe they only hurt the people living in the country. In NK they can hardly vote out there Government like we can here!

Therefore I’m much more in favour of the carrot approach and working with NK, demonstrating there is no need for a nuclear weapon. The best way to do this – to give up our own nuclear weapons. If the desire to be part of this “club” was taken away, there would be no desire to gain nuclear weapons. Although, even though I don’t believe we need nuclear weapons I also except the US, Russia, etc. will never give up theirs. So for now my argument is flawed!

No comments: