Sunday, November 05, 2006

Saddam sentenced to death

I don’t think anybody really expected any other result than a guilty. I’m going to leave aside the ins and outs of the trial and how Saddam’s trial was handled and just focus on the sentence.


I think a mistake has been made by sentencing Saddam to death. What better way of making a martyr of him than the death sentence. On top of this is the way it will be done, hanging. Perfect, to give him that extra stature his supporters are looking for. Lethal injection surely would have been better to knock his status, as it just doesn’t hold the same significance as hanging.


I can only see this sentence providing extra determination for Saddam’s supporters and will do nothing to quell the violence in Iraq. For the sake of our soldiers (and their families) I hope I am wrong.

No comments: